Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, is a water-soluble vitamin. Neither our body retains vitamin C nor can it produce vitamin C on its own. But it is very important for our health and having the right levels of vitamin C can provide diverse health benefits. Vitamin C is beneficial for skin, hair as well as immune system. Vitamin C is a very god antioxidant thus has very strong benefits.
1. Improves immune system and helps to treat common cold symptoms: Vitamin C boosts immune system .Various studies have shown that vitamin C can reduce the severity and duration of cold .It is a natural antihistamine and therefore helps in controlling allergies by reducing the levels of histamine.
2. Cures skin problems: Since long vitamin C has been used to treat a lot of skin-related problems. As a result today, vitamin C is used in a lot of moisturizers, face packs and other beauty products for rendering natural glow to the skin. Vitamin C is helpful in reducing wrinkles and preventing sagging skin. It also protects the skin from harmful UV rays of the sun.
3. Helps to heal wounds: Vitamin C is an essential factor required for the production of collagen, a protein present in connective tissues of the body therefore it is helpful in wound healing.
4. Reduces stress: Vitamin C is required for the synthesis of stress hormones like adrenaline and nor-adrenaline, which play a vital role in combating stress.
5. Helps to lower cholesterol: Vitamin C plays a crucial role in reducing the level of cholesterol in the blood. It is increases the conversion of cholesterol to bile salts which can be easily eliminated from the body.
7. Lowers the risk of heart diseases and stroke and improves blood flow: Vitamin C is an excellent antioxidant hence it destroys free radicals that can cause damage to the wall of arteries and increase the risk of heart diseases and stroke and it also improves blood flow, which also helps to prevent heart diseases.
8. Regulates sugar levels in diabetics: diabetics can surely benefit from foods containing vitamin C. It regulates blood sugar levels and also protects against the complications of diabetes.
11. Helps to reduce breathlessness and improve symptoms of breathlessness: A study has suggested that vitamin C substantially reduces broncho constriction, narrowing of airways, caused by rigorous physical activity and exercise. Vitamin C, being an antioxidant and antihistamine, improves the function of lungs and airways.