Eating well is the only mantra to maintain strength, energy, a healthy immune system. A healthy balanced diet doesn’t mean to ban or omit any foods or food groups but to balance what you eat by consuming a variety of foods in the right proportions. At a high level, the basic elements of a healthy diet include the right amount of protein, fat, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals and water.
So a balanced diet must focus on all the categories, but also on the types of foods eaten within those groups. For example, instead of saying that 70% of your diet should be carbohydrate, the advice is more like :
- a : 70% carbohydrate.
- 35% staples: whole-grains, brown rice, potato, pasta, cereals.
- 35% fresh fruits and vegetables.
- b : 20% protein and fat.
- 10% dairy – milk, cheese,yogurt.
- 10% eggs, poultry, red meat, fish, white fish and pulses.
- c : 10% treats – cakes, cookies, soda, chocolate, high fat cheese, cooking oils.